LOVE International Book Giving Day!


I just love this idea! International Book Giving Day, 100 percent volunteer supported, aims to get new, used, and borrowed books into the hands of as many children as possible.

Here are some eye-opening facts:

* Most children in developing countries don't own books.
* In the United Kingdom, one-third of the children do not own books.
* In the United States, two-thirds of the children living in poverty do not own books.

Having grown up in a third world country where many children drop out of school to help their families earn a living, I have always been grateful for my education. Books and stories have opened new worlds and opportunity for me. In tough times, I always reach for a book. A good story can give me respite and comfort. Often, a good story has given me hope.

So yes, I think a book is a perfect gift for Valentine's Day. To celebrate International Book Giving Day, I'm going to donate some books to a local Girls Home/Children's Emergency Shelter. Can you suggest any titles that might be popular with teen girls and kids in a tough situation?

If you'd like to celebrate International Book Giving Day and share some book love, please check out the International Book Giving Day Website for ideas.

Wishing you good books for International Book Giving Day and happy Valentine's Day too!


No comments:

Post a Comment