Cynthia Eden Finds Inspiration in Many Places & Forms

Woot!  I have a special treat for you.  One of my favorite paranormal romance authors, Cynthia Eden, is here to share what inspires her & she is giving away a copy of her upcoming release ANGEL OF DARKNESS.  Cynthia writes sexy, intelligent and fast-paced stories with droolworthy heroes.  If you haven't read her Midnight series, get reading!  But first read this post :)

Hi, everyone! (And a big thanks to Mina for inviting me over!)

Today’s post is all about inspiration.  I’ve found, as a writer, that I can be inspired by just about anything. Songs, movies, scary sounds in the dark—I feel like my muse is always perching close by, waiting for something to strike a spark. 


And I’ve discovered that people can really inspire me, too.  When I was in college, I had an assignment for a non-verbal communication experiment. I was supposed to go to a crowded area (like a mall or a movie theater) and just watch people. After a while, I was supposed to write down the non-verbal communication techniques that I observed.  It was fascinating to see people display all sorts of feelings and emotions (anger, excitement, happiness, sadness) all without ever hearing a word that they said.


Since that experiment, I’ve learned to keep watching for those non-verbal cues (and I use them a lot in my books).  So when I see a girl with her hands clenched, marching rapidly away from her friends, I wonder…what stirred her anger? What’s her story? And my mind starts to plot and plan.


Of course, inspiration isn’t just something that strikes in the writing area. I think people are inspired in all aspects of life. For me, I get inspired on a personal level when I go star gazing with my son or when I take him to the beach and we play pirates.  Simple things like sunsets can inspire me and make me feel rejuvenated. Falling leaves make me smile. So do snowflakes—but down in Alabama, we don’t see those too often!


So those are a few things that inspire me…but what inspires you?  Share with me, and one commenter can an early copy of my upcoming release, ANGEL OF DARKNESS (Available 11/29/11) from Kensington Brava.


Have a great day! I hope you get inspired!


Best,


Cynthia Eden




ANGEL OF DARKNESS—Available 11/29/11 from Kensington Brava

When an angel falls, all hell breaks loose…

20 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the post! My current WIP series set in Ancient Egypt was inspired by a trip to the museum and the wonder of 3000 year old household possessions,thinking about the people who used them. News stories are good for me too, not so much for the actual *news*, but the events send my writer's brain off on all kinds of tangents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I'm inspired by movies, TV shows and books. Usually, I'll inspired to write because the plot or something didn't go the way I thought it should or gives me an idea of a totally different plot. Or it could be the show was cancelled and I didn't want it to stop. So I write my own spin.

    When it comes to inspiration in everyday life, my family and friends are the source. Their love and friendship help and inspire me in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Cynthia! (Angel of Darkness is already pre-ordered, so please don't enter me!)Just wanted to congratulate you on the success of your career path, and thank you for sharing with us, because it gives people such wonderful stories to read!

    Inspiration for me can come from s single glance, a low comment that sets the imagination afire, or standing at a particular location and wondering who may have stood there before me -- or would after. I can find inspiration in a cracked mausoleun, creatiing a story as to what caused the damage. Inspiration is everywhere!

    Wonderful books, Ms. Eden, wonderful books!Please keep writing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica, I love Egypt! What great inspiration for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Carla! Thanks for coming by! Love and friendship can truly be some fantastic inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, there, Runere! TThank you! Oh, I love that you can find inspiration in a cracked mausoleum--that's just spooky and wonderful! I adore things like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the post today! Made me think of a few things. All of my inspiration comes from my children, they are my whole world and everything I do or accomplish is either for them or with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cynthia - Love your post. Lots of things inspire me but the main thing is the beauty the Lord allows me to see every day. My family too :)
    Can't wait for your fallen angels :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running, I guess. It does clear my mind a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki, my son inspires me so much, too! Especially at this time of the year. With the holidays approaching, everything seems magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victoria, you're awesome! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, May, I'm jealous! I am so not a runner (though I wish I could be).

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids inspire me, and of course the wonderful books I read... I really wish I had the imagination to write a few books, but I know I'm more a reader than a writer =D

    emilytardy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am inspired by my family and it is a case where actions speak louder than words. Their support, encouragement and unconditional love always motivates and inspires me on a personal level which I apply to many part of my life. I also find music inspiring as well. I listen and connect with them.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your books Cynthia.
    My family, loved ones and good friends inspire me.
    But i have to say today I'm not feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Emily! I think kids are so wonderful--their imaginations are really incredible! And I bet you have an incredible imagination, too! You should try your hand at writing--you might be surprised by what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Na, it sounds like you have an incredible family--lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Diane! But I'm so sorry you're not feeling inspired today--I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woot!I was stuck in a conference all day and missed out on a great conversation here...but so glad you all visited!

    Thanks Cynthia for playing on my blog today! Can't wait to meet your angels :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The stromg couragous people in my life inspire me.

    Robin D
    robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete